Our client, Homeless Solutions Inc., is an amazing non-profit organization providing affordable housing and shelter across 16 locations throughout Morris County, New Jersey for over 184 adults and children. Their tag line is “A hand up, not a handout.” Over the last 15 years they’ve provided homes and support services (i.e. childcare to enable residents to work) for those in need. What may be surprising is that Morris County is one of the top ten richest counties in the country; and yet, homelessness abounds.
HIS’s Housing Development team has been transforming communities by taking derelict buildings or underutilized lots and creating safe, affordable homes throughout Morris County. It’s a desperate need as rent increases have far outpaced wage growth, particularly for low-wage workers. Plus, new apartment construction has focused on luxury or other high-end markets. The result is over 40% of Morris County renters (19,000 households) spend more on their housing than is considered affordable.
My firm, Lamoreaux Search, is helping Homeless Solutions Inc. source a new Board Trustee who will put their passion for service and corporate technology expertise toward generating new ideas and solutions. This is a group of mission-driven individuals who operate as a team. As with most non-profit board roles, there is a modest annual contribution expectation; but truly, they are focused on the person – who they are and why they’re poised to make addressing homelessness a top priority.
HSI treats every individual with the respect they deserve and successfully aids families when they need help the most. Over the years, HSI has found that those board members living within or near Morris County, NJ have greater engagement and responsiveness in emergent situations; therefore, they will give preference to those living within the northern New Jersey corridor.
Position Description: Trustee
The Homeless Solutions Inc. Board of Trustees: We make our mission to the homeless and working poor come alive in the hearts and minds of others. We serve as donors, fundraisers, policy makers and advisors.
- Provide fiduciary and administrative oversight
- Attend HSI Board meetings and events
- Provide personally meaningful financial support of HSI’s Annual Fund & Special Events
- Help identify and develop new funding sources and donors through personal connections
- Host a cultivation event at your home, club or other venue once during your Board term
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about HSI Programs and mission
- Service and attendance on at least two committees of the Board
- Identify and help recruit new Trustees
- Commitment to improving the greater Morris County community
- Willingness to work as part of a larger team striving to advance HSI’s mission
- Ability and willingness to give support to other members of the Board, volunteers, and staff of HSI
- Personal experience as a volunteer and/or member of other community organizations
Time Requirements: Average six to ten hours per month which includes:
- Five Board meetings per year (including daytime Board Retreat in September)
- Committee meetings as established by each committee
- Fund development events and activities
- Thorough review of the Board materials in advance of each Board meeting
- Three-year term, renewable up to three times upon recommendation of the Committee on Trustees
- Trustee Orientation Session
- Tour of all HSI facilities
- Occasional in-service training
Responsible To: Board Chair and the Committee on Trustees
Support provided to Trustees:
- Support and encouragement from your fellow Board Members, HSI CEO & Executive Staff
- Responsiveness to requests for additional training and/or information needed to be an effective Trustee and to make the Board experience rewarding and fulfilling
- Openness and respect for suggestions about the future vision of HSI
Candidates interested in pursuing this position should send inquiries to Kristen@LamoreauxSearch.com.
Should you be unable to navigate the time commitment of a Board seat, please be aware there is also a Corporate Advisory Council where your expertise would be welcomed!