Distinguished Data Engineer
At Capital One, we believe in the values of Excellence and Doing the Right Thing. We are a technology-oriented company delivering financial products to market through modern technology and constant innovation at a massive scale.
Distinguished Engineers are...
- Deep technical experts, senior-level individual contributors and thought leaders that help accelerate adoption of the very best engineering practices, while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Visionaries, helping solve Capital One’s toughest technology challenges, to deliver on business needs that directly impact the lives of millions of our customers and associates
- Role models and mentors, helping to coach and strengthen the technical expertise and know-how of our engineering and product community
- Supporters, both internally and externally, helping to elevate the Distinguished Engineering community and establish themselves as a go-to resource on given technologies and technology-enabled capabilities
- Leaders who gain the trust and confidence of those around them, from hands on engineers to executives
Whether a member of our engineering or architecture teams, Distinguished Engineers are individual contributors expected to solve problems in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative delivery environment. In order to meet these demands, candidates should be influential engineering leaders with deep technology expertise, and a collaborative style that brings others into the decision-making process. S/He will significantly impact the Tech agenda within their organization and devise clear roadmaps to deliver next generation technology solutions across organizational boundaries.
- Leverage sound judgment and problem solving to tackle some of Capital One’s most critical problems and connect the dots to broader implications of the work
- Build awareness, increase knowledge and drive adoption of modern technologies and architecture patterns, sharing customer and engineering benefits to gain buy-in
- Strike the right balance between lending expertise and providing an inclusive environment where others’ ideas can be heard and championed; leverage expertise to grow skills in the broader Capital One team
- Promote a culture of engineering excellence and being well-managed, using opportunities to reuse and innersource solutions where possible
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Operate as a trusted advisor for a specific technology, platform or capability domain, helping to shape use cases and implementation in an integrated manner
- Lead the way in creating next-generation talent for Tech, mentoring internal talent and actively recruiting external talent to bolster Capital One’s Tech talent
- Integrate the modern core with key financial systems
- Build a powerful set of APIs and event streams that create highly distributed, massively scalable “virtual core” allowing vital financial systems to easily interact with modern and legacy ledgers
- Operate in a cutting edge cloud-native, microservices-driven architecture
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 10 years’ of enterprise software engineering experience
- At least 5 years’ of data engineering experience
- Masters’ Degree or higher in computer science or a related field
- 7+ years of building large scale data systems
- 5+ years of building web APIs for high-throughput systems
- 5+ years of writing back-end systems in open source languages such as Java and Go
- 5+ years of using AWS ecosystem of tools
- 3+ years building large data sets in Cassandra
- 2+ years of experience with Kafka
- 2+ years of building microservices deployed as containers, preferably on Kubernetes
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.