Citi, the leading global bank, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Our mission is to serve as a trusted partner to our clients by responsibly providing financial services that enable growth and economic progress. We strive to earn and maintain our clients’ and the public’s trust by constantly adhering to the highest ethical standards and making a positive impact on the communities we serve.
Citi’s Global Consumer Bank (GCB) is building a purpose-driven team to serve its globally diverse, digitally forward customers in top cities around the world. We’re looking for exceptional candidates who think digitally and differently, resolve problems in unconventional ways and strive to provide a remarkable experience for our clients. We define success by our Citi Leadership Standards: Develops our People, Drives Value for Clients, Works as a Partner, Champions Progress, Lives our Values and Delivers Results.
Overview of the Role
Reporting to the Global Consumer Bank CIO, the GCT Head of North America (NAM) Technology is the most senior GCB technology leader for the region, responsible for driving disruptive thought leadership, accelerating digital banking capabilities, leading software engineering across all core consumer banking functions. The role is preferably based in New York, Irving or Jacksonville and sets the vision and overall technology direction for North America, fostering disciplined innovation while continuing to optimize core systems and improve the region’s control environment.
Drive purposeful thought leadership, technology strategy and execution, and digital acceleration for North America’s Consumer Bank. Deliver all software engineering change across Retail Banking, Cards, Mortgage, Marketing, Analytics, and Operations with acute focus on time to market, quality, customer experience, and system stability. Build trusted collaborative relationships with C-level regional and global bank executives. Serve as an innovative change agent within a strong control environment, able to shift Citi’s technology stack from monolithic traditional banking platforms to modern, flexible, modular systems that support digital and cloud-based technologies with robust data capabilities and ease of integration with partner ecosystems. Requires a “renaissance” leader with an entrepreneurial mindset, able to influence change at all levels of the organization, and deliver locally to achieve NAM business results, while aligning with global technology priorities and architectural standards. Able to demonstrate how technology can influence and enhance business strategy and improve business results.
Candidate Profile/Areas of Expertise:
• Renaissance leader, a seasoned technologist able to bridge strategy and delivery across technology, product, marketing, operations, legal & compliance, and associated critical business functions
• Experience at CIO or equivalent level at a large-scale corporate entity, building, deploying, and supporting complex systems and applications across diverse line of business functions, with focus on digital consumer-facing applications, agile methodologies, and automation of manual and backend processes
• Align GCT resources to execute NAM book of work in collaboration with US consumer business heads
• End to end execution focused, a hands-on technology enthusiast who thrives in a fast-paced environment, able to traverse across high-level long-term strategic planning and detailed tactical day to day problem resolution and course correction
• Expert at digital, mobile, internet, multi-media, and hardware or consumer electronics product development, combined with seamless integration into traditional sales and service channels (physical, telephony, interactive hardware/software devices)
• Incredible emotional intelligence and excellence in relationship and reputation management, earning and fostering respect at all levels of the organization
• Disruptive change agent adept at introducing entrepreneurial “start-up” culture at a global corporate enterprise
• Be creative and passionate, driven by a desire for innovation and creation of an amazing client experience – smart risk taking – outside the box thinking.
• Intense focus on delivering an industry leading customer and employee experience through technology solutions that anticipate user needs, and surprise and delight through intuitive user interface design and development
• Broad experience driving change and innovation within strict regulatory control environments, with expertise designing and automating safety and soundness principles, with particular emphasis on security, privacy, and data protection controls
• Deep knowledge of data science strategies and technologies, including machine learning and artificial intelligence, with emphasis on real-time decisioning, analytics, and robust reporting dashboards to enable real-time cross-channel management insight and action
• Experience consolidating and sun-setting legacy systems and software, and migrating from embedded legacy infrastructure to modernized technologies
• Evaluation, selection and governance of strategic global suppliers and partners, with strong negotiation, integration, and migration experience
• Experience with fintech industry or M&A corporate strategy experience integrating start-ups and open source entities with large-scale corporate technology ecosystems
• Experience in transforming the culture and workforce at a global organization, and recruiting and developing an inclusive, diverse, engaged organization, mentoring leaders of leaders
• Understanding of risk environment with banking and financial services to deliver solutions at pace that reduce risk to the bank and our customers
• Strong corporate stewardship philosophy and leadership style
• Oversee management and delivery against total NAM book of work
• Strong fiscal responsibility acumen – overseeing global workforce of 7,000+ resources and budget of $1B+
• Maintain strong relationships with senior business partners, control organizations, other technology functions and external regulators and vendors.
• Champions a culture of high standards, pushes for progress, embraces change and challenges the status quo based on integrity and strong partnership and financial responsibility.
• The ideal candidate will come from an international organization, and be a global visionary leader in engineering/technology who will drive priorities while balancing risks, capital allocations, and change complexities throughout the enterprise.
• 15+ years of demonstrated Sr. Technology Leadership roles in the financial industry or a related field with a strong understanding/focus on digital technologies to include middleware integration; agile/iterative application development, web oriented architecture, API strategy and Cloud computing.
• Bachelor degree in computer science, information technology, software engineering or a related field; Master’s degree preferred.
• Experience building consumer facing applications and virtual technologies expertise is preferred. A rounded knowledge of all aspects of the technology stack in a large scale, complex organization is critical.
• Successful track record as a change leader in a large and complex environment.
• Demonstrated ability to take an organization from a perspective of legacy technology to a position of industry leading technology innovation.
• Possess a track record of transforming a global business through strong execution and delivery.
• Experience running or creating an agile methodology that is deeply ingrained in the fabric of a large-scale technology function.
• Strong talent focus and ability to successfully recruit and develop experts from leading organizations across the globe.
• Ability to communicate a compelling vision and inspire others to deliver on an ambitious, complex, global roadmap.
• Ability to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels within an organization, from the most technical engineer to the most savvy business / executive leader.
• Possess uncompromising ethics, unwavering integrity and understanding of risk & regulatory process, as well as outstanding communications and interpersonal skills.
• Familiarity with the major line of business activities within Citi Global Consumer Bank. Broad financial expertise with knowledge of corporate affairs, financial and economic fundamentals, and business policies, products, processes, systems and roles.